Thursday, July 26, 2007

Committments issue

Some things had cropped up in PA, but I got no mood to type it all out since my thoughts are a bit jumbled up. Maybe I'll go write out a essay guideline before I attempt to chronicle my thought on the whole things that had been happening so far, but first I would want to type out this one.

I had gone as far as to abandon the homework that I have on my table to type this out and give my mind a bit of a break from continuously trying to solve some crazy math problems...

Have you ever found yourself not being able to cope with all your commitments here and there and perhaps... everywhere?
I means, its the newest buzz word around the place where I happen to wander around. People around me are constantly telling me that they are unable to balance this balance that, that their results aren't exactly doing that well and that yes... they are going to be fried, slaughtered, kill, burnt over a raging fire, and eaten with blood still flowing off their body...

And yea, the descriptions can go on and on and on with not much ways to stop it, and its probably only restricted by our imagination...

But I'm not going to say the usual "Learn to organise your time well" and "Balance your commitments with other stuff that you should be doing"...
Instead... have you ever thought to yourself a very simple question: Why did you take up the commitment in the first place?

For many of us out there, the reason is a pure and simple one, because we enjoy doing it. For example, we may have committed our time to swimming because we enjoy swimming. We may have committed some of our time into cycling around the neighbourhood every once a week because we enjoy the feeling of the rushing of the wind as you speed down a very steep slope as you are heading towards your destination where you'll take a bit of break from your hectic everyday life.

Another probable reason is probably because you believe in it. You believe in the cause that you are doing for. It could be for anything: Pride, CIP hours (although yea, it doesn't really sound noble), friends, the community. Its this little reasons in life that spurs you on to continue living. The smile on your friends face when you are working together to overcome a very tough problem and finally managed to solve it, the cheerfulness in the voice of the elderly when you go there and play with them wholeheartedly, the pride of getting a large amount of CIP hours... Its all this little reasons in life that has probably kept you alive all the way until now.
Why destroy this little reasons of staying alive, when life is tough enough already?

There are also a whole host of other reasons that could have made you take up the committment... in fact the list is different for different people. What I have merely listed are those which I feel are my reasons for some of my committments.

What I feel is that, since you have already came this far with the committments, don't give up!! One thing that I had learned so far is this, that is, studying is not everything. When you really come out to society, 4As, and L1R5 of 6 won't get you anywhere unless you know what you are doing. All these little extra committments in life are something that you should treasure, because not only will they teach you to manage your time well, they will also teach you some skills that you won't be able to learn in a textbook. Things like trying to solve a problem, trying to find a common ground on issues and so on and so forth. All these skills are skills that will never ever be taught in a textbook, and even if they do, it won't get you anywhere unless you are some whiz kid....

So when it comes down to all these committment. Yea, I do agree that we should not overload ourselves with committments until we drag down our own studies (which is our main committment), but one thing I feel is that since you have already started with it, stick with it and see it through.

There are many things to learn, and there is only one life.
In the words of the M1 advertisements:
"One life, Live it"

Lets go and live the life we all have choosen with happiness..

Discmon

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

if this is abt my taking 'leave' from PA temporarily......

Anonymous said...

eh no piaroh, it's not about you.It's about something else.We understand your reason to take leave, since you are the VP of SGC.So dun get get misunderstood =D

Discmon said...

Just a side note piaroh...
The post above is definitely not talking about you ok ^^

Its about another friend of mine and some others who I meet around, but its definitely got nothing to do with you...

Or at least, when I typed the post, I did not "see" you as an audience ^^, but rather some of my other friends. Yup (:

I think we all understand your reasons yup (:

Anonymous said...

i guess the good thing is to never stop believing. =) you're always so positive. very nice post.

Anonymous said...

SO DAMN AGREE WITH YA!
but then as for me, i decided to give up on some commitments because the A's and the LxRx are important, cause they are my core responsibilities as a student. Unleass i can cope with that, there shouldn't be any discussion about other commitments. haha, it all comes down to priorities in the end, LALALA! your dear alfie has grown matured!^^

Anonymous said...

Very well written! fully agreed with the M1 advertisement.