Monday, January 10, 2005

The good old tsunami...

My last post left a rather bitter taste in my mouth in what I perceive as totally crap... I mean, what is so exciting about my life? Maybe something that would interest more people would be better on a blog such as this one...

Anyhow, people who likes to dips into archives of post, would know that most of my entries so far, have been talking about the unfortunate tsunami incident. Anyway, this is some things that I hoped people and perhaps some people who decided that just giving money would help to understand what they have been doing so far...

I think we have heard several times that some companies are donating something to the disaster area by buying something from them. Seems to be an unfortunate incident to allow people to do charity and buy more things for them under the pretext that they are helping the people who are in needs. But as we all already know, charity should be done of one's free will. Why must the companies ask other people to buy things so that they would donate to the people who needs this things urgently...

As far as I can see, a lot of companies and even people are using this opportunity as a chance to make money...
How wonderful, cashing in on someone's else misfortunes...

Anyhow, if some people had been paying attention to the critics on the newspaper lately, we would have heard of reports of people donating boxing gloves, golf clubs, 1-cent coins, curtains infested in cockroaches, and the one that hit the mark, tons of 50-cents coin so that those poor children there can go and play the arcade...

I mean, even people like us would feel that this is ridiculous. What does this show us, it shows that Singapore is too peaceful, what we feel as doing charity means donating things and money. We have lost all concepts of hardship and what it is like to be in war or a disaster. I mean, if a young boy would donate 50-cent coins so that the children there can play the arcade, what does this show of us singaporean...

I think critics and other people who writes on forum and any other citizens of Singapore who still fortunately reads the newspaper, would be able to comment on this. Otherwise, try and find a copy and just read the forum pages...

Not just that, some people even got raped after getting rescued. I think, like how the old saying goes, that disasters bring out the worst in some people, the best in others. Just like the donations where people who live in good old safety Singapore uses as a method to get rid of garbage and almost worthless 1-cent coins...

Not to say that they are worthless...

I think that this donation thing had just become another way for the nations all over the world to compete. I mean, donations are meant to be voluntary, but what has happened so far, makes me feel that the word donation should change from its original meaning.

I am getting a bit sarcastic so I decided to list down all the meanings alteration for the word donation...

For countries who are constantly donating more and more:
A situation in which whoever gives the most is most respected by other stupid people all over the world...

For Singaporeans:
A chance for them to get rid of useless items in their home
Also to show to the whole wide world, the singaporeans apparent disregard of how disastrous the situation is, and how we are so secured that we resent any preparations for the worst... And also the lack of education on our young on the possible chaos that could happen anywhere in the world and how 'safe' they are in their present surroundings...

I think that should be enough...

Discmon

No comments: