Thursday, July 20, 2006

Afterthoughts on speech day...

Q: Why are you using the Q&A format again for this pathetic post? Or rather, are you pathetic?
A: Hmm, I'm using this Q&A format again as the last few times that I had written this post, I written about one-eighth of the way though it, then I looked at the post and I highlighted everything and pressed the delete button. I think it would be much easier for me to write this post using the Q&A format instead.
On another note, I'm not pathetic, and there's no need for you to speculate on that, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Q: So, you are going to talk about how this speech day is the most tiring speech day ever for you, you pathetic being?
A: Unfortunately, yes... I believe I just bored a bunch of people and they are all clicking on another link somewhere on their screen to change the page. I am not bothered by it...

Q: You sound sarcastic...
A: That's the point.

Q: So, you want to tell us how your old speech day was like?
A: Ok, the speech days that I had attended last time as an usherer were pretty laggy anyway you see it. Basically, all I needed to do was to usher the students off to their seats and then give flowers to teachers who received (won isn't exactly a good word to use in this scenario) the long-service award. I remembered I gave the flower to Mr Desmond Lim sometime back.

Q: So how was it different?
A: This year, I got sent to the side of the stage. When you get sent there as an usherer, it usually means that you're in charge of VIP ushering, unlike the good-old simple-to-handle student ushering. Add on to the fact that you need to stand there throughout most of the prize giving ceremony and you got a recipe for being tired.

Q: So you stood there?
A: Yes... and I was a bit extra. During the rehearsals, the people who got selected to do the VIP ushering was made to rehearse sending VIPs on stage and off-stage and back to their seats. During the actual events, we were like guards. The teachers just walked over to them and we bacame a bit of an extra, standing there as though we are just an ornament...

Being made an extra is ok, I mean, I've been made an extra more than once by quite a lot of people, and I'm usually ok with it unless... never mind. The point is, when you make people extras, you shouldn't make them feel bad or anything.

(Please note that the below part is addressing another issue and not at all related with speech day.)
If you're going to make anyone an extra, please give a kind thought to that person. When it is supposed to be a two-person job, don't change it to become a one-person job. We all know you got the skills and talents needed for this two-person job and thus can complete it all by yourself. We also know that you have the leadership skills to be able to do it all by yourself. By all means, go ahead. I'm sick of trying to help people when I get posted to help people when they think that total control is the way to go.

Q: So you finished your sarcasm?
A: Yes. I finished my sarcasm...

Q: So are we continuing with the speech day thingy?
A: Hmm, ok. Speech day was pretty much ok, and I was pretty tired after the whole occasion was over. I'm so glad that the place where I was standing had a great big fan right above my head and it was blowing at me most of the time. Really need to thank the fan for keeping me cool while I was standing there being a stone. Yup, I think that's about it.

Note that the above sarcasm part just so happened to pop out while I was writing this post. Its something that I've been keeping in myself for sometime and some people might find it weird that it is only posted now. Don't worry, its just me worrying about stupid things and I thought it would be nice to just post everything out.

What have I learned from speech day? [Start Jo-Jo circus famous "what have you learnt today?" song]...
Done with the song yet? OK.
1. I got to stand there at the stage cause there doesn't seem to be any other uniformed group members in student council. It appears that the teachers allocated the uniformed groups members there as they have footdrill and thus can stand for a long amount of time...
Thus, I learned that we should use the proper people for the proper job.
2. I should stick to studying. Going to work is bad...
3. Being the extra sometimes can be good, but it all depends on the situation and your own point of view.

So, what have you learned today?

Discmon

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha, Speech Days are indeed tiring (for the ones working) with all the VIPs and stuff. And by the way, it's "usher" (both a noun and a verb). There's no "usherer".

Anonymous said...

Oops, it's Chengxi who left the above message! Sorry!

Anonymous said...

haha didn't know that you liked Q&A so much..

Anonymous said...

-.-

niyi