Thursday, December 21, 2006

Games to destress...

I know that technically I should not be posting anymore posts for this year on my blog (following my tradition of last year) but hey come on, tradition sometimes need to be broken (although some are better if they are kept)...

I've been thinking that I've been an idiot for the last few days (and some of you out there should understand why, but I'm not going to elaborate here and bore you guys out). So, I'm just going to state that I was an idiot for the last few days, and I'm hopeful that my trip out of Singapore might be able to relax me for the next few days before we come back for our days in JC...

Anyhow, I had tried destressing myself over the last few days by playing lots and lots of games on my computer. Basically, I went playing guildwars, CS, pinball, solitaire, hearts etc. and also O2 jam...

After playing this few games for the last few days, I realised a few things:
  1. FPS don't really serve to destress you unless you are really really good at the game and tend to have about 90% of the time shooting people's heads off, or if you are playing with your friend on the same server
  2. RPGs don't really destress you either unless you got a really interesting boss battles (like those in Megaman X series). You get destressed from those interesting boss battles because you feel a sense of achievment when you clear that boss fight. Guildwars don't really destress you because of the dark feeling of the game (especially Nightfall) and the boss battles aren't really exciting...
  3. Com games are boring, except for pinball, where you can train and try to get a ridiculously hard to break high score table ^^
  4. Rhythm games are so far, for me, the best games to destress on...
This is probably because I found myself enjoying myself while I was playing O2jam. O2jam is similar to audition, although I feel that O2jam gives you a greater amount of satisfaction when compared to playing audition. The reasons are very simple.

Firstly, in O2jam, there are definite patterns. What this means is that you can try to learn a freaking hard to master song, and when you finally play it without much trouble, you'll really feel a great sense of achievement bubbling up inside you.
However, in audition, there isn't a fixed pattern, what this means that it is all about reaction time, and there is no way for you to master a single song. I feel that like this, you don't really get any sense of satisfaction easily unless you play it for a really really long time and beat a lot of other people...

I know there isn't really any other points on why O2jam is better then audition because technically audition is better then O2jam both visually and in terms of game managements by the companies, so I'll leave it as that...

But beat-rhythm game really can destress you, especially when you feel that bubbling sense of achievement when you clear that song that you always had had trouble with.

Course, Time Crisis still beats them all in the destressing category...
...once you don't die in prologue(TC4) or stage 1 (TC1,2,3) that is...

Discmon

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

erm.... 0.o

-insignificant

joe said...

haha, hope you are feeling better!
anyway, to me, i dont get destress from playing com games. but i do feel better when i watch my bro play..haha

YP

gert said...

Happy New Year and i do agree. Your post is on target absolutely another excellent reason for people to stop fearing the big stacks... and to stop bullying the small stacks. For this tims I just passing thru and I think you have a great blog here! It was quite useful reading, found some good/nice stuff in here. Thanks! I have a Website/Blog It pretty much covers betting and poker solutionrelated stuff and more than one opportunity.
Come and check it out when you have the time and keep up the great work on your site :>>

Anonymous said...

Ahh... Isn't it time to blog about your orientation?

Please???

-Singaporean Chinese whom everyone thought was Chinese.