Friday, March 24, 2006

Destruction of forest...

The week is coming to an end...
The forest beind my house is also coming to an end...

I was walking home along this short-cut that cuts through a railway. The railway belongs to KTM, a malaysian railway company. Even though this is Singapore territory, the Malaysian government owns the land that are near to the railway. This causes the area near the railway to be mostly jungles and forests as they do not really care to develop this area.

I love the scenery and the immersing into nature feeling that you can get whenever you walk there to go home. The big trees there and the huge area that the wild grass had colonised is something that makes me feel relaxed. As I was walking home along that short-cut, I was shocked to notice that on one side of the railway, all the wild grass there had been cleared. All that was left was barren patches of land, with caterpillar tracks imprinted on them, showing exactly what machines had left this destruction...

I had stopped just before the railway track, looking at the destruction of the once green forest. The men there, whom I believe are the supervisors of this, motioned to me that there was 'no train'.. Like I was interested in that... Another person who was taking the path home was also shocked by the destruction seen there. Both of us stopped and just looked at the bare ground in silence...

I feel sad because that area forms an integral part of what I can see out of my bedroom window and its a great feeling everytime you see it. They say that people who lives a busy life prefer to want to live in the rural areas to enjoy life. I guess I am one of those people, those people who prefer a comfortable life compared to a busy life...

Ya, I know that the forest had brought a bit of trouble, especially during the dry season where forest fire is common, and there are occasional invasion of insects (which became worse after the forest is destroyed as the insects home's are destroyed and they just invade your house)... But I think that aside from this, the view is great, the feeling is great.

It would be a sad thing indeed if the forest is to be cleared off...

Discmon

No comments: