Saturday, March 18, 2006

Holiday lost its holiday...

The holiday (if you can still call it a holiday) is really coming to an end (it hasn't even started for me)...

I feel that after this four long years in this school, I have lost all meaning of a holiday. Go on, ask me for what I think about holidays and what to expect during one. My first thought is homework. Regardless of how long the holiday is or how short the holiday is, the teachers will always pile you on homework. Homework, doesn't it drives you mad?

Other than the apparent phobia against homework, the homework that is given by the teacher isn't well explained. For example, a few weeks back, I received a math homework that is probably there to test your english. The question goes like this:
A cylinder with height 4cm and base 2cm......

Er, base 2 cm?! So, the diameter is 2cm or is it the radius that is 2cm...?

And it doesn't end there...
There are a lot more examples out there, such as this one that I just received and am scratching my head over what I should do with it:

I have to select between two candidates to support to be a student councillor. I am selected to write a letter to the person whom I do not intend to support. The question states that I should not indicate the REAL reason why I am not supporting the person in the letter so as to not hurt the person's feeling...

Ok, I see two reasons (which there is only two anyway, unless you consider the funny sounding name).
1) The person's characteristics will not allow the person to look after the welfare of the students.
2) I choose to support the other person, so I cannot support this person...

I would say that both are REAL reasons, and both of them would hurt that person's feeling anyway... So what am I supposed to write? You suck?

Ya, fine, a week is a lot of time for you to finish your homework. That is, if you don't consider things like camp, job week, school things, meetings called by teachers...
Ya sure, and for a lot of people out there, their holiday is simply equal to normal school day, aside from the fact that they do not need to face everyone in class most of the time. Technically, each subject gives us three homework... WOW. That is equal to 3*8=24, and I won't be surprised if it gets even more than that...

And how many time do we ever get our holiday homework back? Well, I remember a few times, but most of the time, after the holiday homework is handed up, it disappears... And when we mean disappear, we really mean disappear. Gone, vanished, with little to no trace. How am I supposed to know how I had fared on my holiday homework? Though a series of unfortunate events? No thanks...

Sure, I had been ranting on holiday homework and homework itself... But don't you think that lots of people don't really like the school, like they are treating it as a shell, and the only thing that keeps them going are the people in it. I mean, come on, what's the problem? Why do we have such a hard time trying to get the school together? Blame it on the people who don't like the school? I do not think so...

Does homework and liking a school links together? Probably...
Especially when you get buried by homework, even during the holiday... So much so that holiday has lost its meaning for me... What's the point of holiday when all you ever do before the holiday start is to dread about the homework you are about to receive?

Discmon

No comments: